I’ve learned something the past few days. Something I already knew but often forget because I have such amazing people in my life.
I am a single teen mother, as most of you know. I get judged constantly for it. I’d say I’m a pretty damn good mother and am doing my best – but what have I done wrong?
Here, I’ll make a list for you.
- I had sex and had a child before marriage.
- I had sex and had a child before receiving a complete education (high school & college)
- I have received forms of public assistance in order to complete my education, and get a job to get myself on my feet so I can become a productive member of society.
- I am getting financial aid to pay for college so I can better myself and my daughter’s lives.
- I send my daughter to daycare so that I can work and make a living.
But here’s the thing, and what makes me mad the most.
How do you expect me to take back having sex and having a child before marriage and having a complete education? Sorry, but life doesn’t have a rewind button. It just doesn’t – so stop holding that over my head. You should be happy I’m taking steps to be a productive member of society.
How do you expect me to complete my education without going to school? Sorry but childcare isn’t free – and don’t suggest online school because I DID try that.
Same thing, how do you expect me to get a job to start getting on my feet without GOING to work?
All I have to say for financial aid is that almost anyone who is able to receive it – uses it. There’s nothing wrong with that. Can you pay for college out of pocket? No? Exactly.
The last one is just too ridiculous for an explanation.
No matter what I do in life – I could cure cancer – I will ALWAYS be a failure to some people because of ONE thing I did with my at-the-time boy friend.
Thankfully I don’t rely on those people for approval of myself – I don’t rely on anyone for that.
I know I’m doing what I need to do to make a future for myself and my daughter. Plus NEWSFLASH people I WORK – I PAY THE SAME TAXES AS YOU DO. I’m paying for that public assistance just like all of you are.